Nashville!!!

There is a hum in this city…and energy that is unlike any place that I have ever been before. I first fell in love with Nashville back in 1996…a Campus Life trip to see DC Talk in concert and spend a few days admiring what this glorious place had to offer. I was immediately hooked. I resigned myself that this was it that this was where I would eventually live. For some strange reason this place set a hunger and fire in me that, while cooled, has never fully died out. All of us have that place I think. My heart went through mourning, and I do mean literal mourning, when my sister said one day that she would be moving to Nashville. “No,” I thought…this is my city. However, almost three years later and the realization that this move for her was completely ordained by God and that now I have a free place to crash anytime I want to come into the city makes my heart a little more happy. I know that God has carved out a little space of independence that is just for me.

About four years later my family and I took a family trip to Nashville. I fell in love with it even more. It is a BIG city, but it has a real small town feel to it. There is just a breathtaking beauty to driving in and seeing this city all lit up at night. It is one of the loveliest skylines I have ever seen. My heart rushes every time, every time I drive downtown you can literally feel the energy buzzing off the streets. It is, dare I say, magical.

Well, as many of you know I went back to Nashville last weekend. I know I know I’m being very melodramatic and I don’t mean to be…but I just thought I would give you a little introduction to why I love my trips to Nashville. While, this time I was feeling very sick and unfortunately didn’t get as much rest as I was hoping I’m always delighted when I go to Nashville and see my sister.

Friday night we drove down in the snow storm. I was driving and a little nervous. I just kept remembering the 8 inches Nashville got that time and cars were abandoned all along the streets. However, God got us through and we got to Nashville no worse for wear. Saturday, was my sisters birthday and we celebrated by going to a lovely restaurant called J. Alexander’s with her and four of her friends. We had a really wonderful time. Sunday we got up and went to church, grabbed a bite to eat at a cool little deli and drove around and did some shopping. I got some cool new purses, a couple pairs of work pants, and some other necessary items. Monday we went out with her Bible Study group to see End of the Spear. This is the second time I went to see this movie and it was awesome again. I have just recently watched Beyond the Gates of Splendor. God is soooo BIG!!!...and GOOD!!!

And of course what you all have been wanting me to talk about was the Tuesday night, a Valentine’s date if you will, with none other than Bon Jovi. Well, I have to give you a little history on Bon Jovi and me. They were the first band that I fell in love with during my coming of age years. I was probably about 14 when I got the Crossroads CD that had 14 of their classics compiled on one album. “Always” was getting heavy play on the radio and MTV and I just fell in love with the song. They were the band that really helped me cross from childhood to my early formative years of developing into a woman. I’ve really loved them ever since. So, you can imagine how excited I was to actually go see them in concert.

One of the most amazing and chill bump moments was our walk from my sisters parking garage to the concert itself. We had to go directly downtown…in every little dive, in every little bar their was some group, or a guy with a guitar trying to make their dreams come true. IN EVERYONE! I’ve always wanted to take and evening in Nashville and just drop in to different bars during the evening and catch a couple of shows. I’m amazed at the drive, the hope, and the relentless passion it takes for a starving artist to fight for a break in one of the largest musical fish ponds in the United States. It might seem to some to be kind of pathetic, but for me it just fills me with hope. These kids have a dream and they are willing to fight for it…I just contemplated all of this as I was going to hear a band that really impacted my youth, someone that had made it. You know that I love to hear narratives, and my heart wished I could take a few moments and sit with each of these artists and hear their stories.

Making it to the arena we found our seats and waited. We were in Middle Arena, not bad seats, not great seats…could have been better, but it could have been a LOT worse. I watched people pile in, the place was packed. The energy was up. The opening act was alright…but then the real show began. I have to say that the concert was literally one of the BEST concerts I have EVER been too. It was AWESOME. (I’m sure it doesn’t compare to U2 Barbara…believe me I wish I could see those guys live too.) But, it was absolutely the best show I have ever been to. The energy that these guys have is incredible. Their voices were great, the energy was great, they played a lot off the new record which I love, and some of their greatest classics. They brought and intimate feel to a large stadium. I was completely impressed with the way that Jon interacted with the fans. Even getting in the crowd and singing, shaking hands, and making eye contact. Richie rocked the place, and I absolutely love to hear him sing. (He is doing surprisingly well considering all that has been going on in his personal life!) Tico was awesome on drums, like my Mom said he just never stopped, and Dave is a master on keys. It was high energy and rockin’…well worth the money.

So, there you have it my wonderful little vacation, Carol I would post pictures but have yet to download any new software onto my new computer. I’ll try to do that in the coming weeks. However, I didn’t take my camera to the show. I should have but I was afraid they wouldn’t allow them.

It’s also strange to note that I’ve been feeling the need to pray for them after the show. I always get way to passionate after seeing a person live. I don’t know why I do that, but instead of thinking about my own interest I’m trying to shift my focus to praying for the guys since they are ever present on my mind…let me leave you with a lyrics from a song off their new album…

Welcome to Wherever You Are

VERSE
Maybe we’re all different but we’re still the same
We all got the blood of Eden running through our veins
I know sometimes it’s hard for you to see
You’re caught between just who you are and who you want to be
If you feel alone and lost and need a friend
Remember every new beginning is some beginning’s end

CHORUS
Welcome to wherever you are
This is your life, you made it this far
Welcome, you got to believe
That right here, right now
You’re exactly where you’re supposed to be
Welcome to wherever you are

When everybody’s in and you’re left out
And you feel you’re drowning in the shadow of a doubt
Everyone’s a miracle in their own way
Just listen to yourself, not what other people say
When it seems you’re lost, alone and feelin’ down
Remember, everybody’s different; just take a look around

CHORUS

Be who you want to be
Be who you are
Everyone’s a hero
Everyone’s a star
When you want to give up and your heart’s about to break
Remember that you’re perfect; God makes no mistakes
Welcome to wherever you are
This is your life; you made it this far
Welcome, you’ve got to believe
That right here, right now
You’re exactly where you’re supposed to be
I say welcome…
I say welcome…
Welcome…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Me Share My Narrative With You (His Testimony!)

Happy Thanksgiving!...Kingdom Living!

Mornin'