Top 10 Books I LOVE!

If I had two lifetimes one of those would be spent reading all the books in the world. I just love every aspect of it – browsing a bookstore, buying the book, beginning the book, finishing the book, all perfect. So, here are my Top 10 Books & why: 10. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I had quit reading Christian Fiction (I’m a fiction girl through and through) because I couldn’t find anything that challenged me. I didn’t see anything, other than classic literature, in the Christian realm that wasn’t a little fluffy around the edges. However, my first experience with Francine Rivers totally rocked my world. She wasn’t afraid of pushing boundaries & taking you places you wished you didn’t have to go. She did what she set out to do. She made Christian literature that impacted and changed lives. 9. Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, & Breaking Dawn): I so, so, so did not want to put this one in here, but in the end I think I had to. Just as Francine helped me dive back into Christian literature, Stephenie helped me dive back into mainstream literature. I had given up on reading “secular” literature until I found these little jewels. I forgot reading could be fun and enrapturous. Plus, I really like vampires ;)…a journey worth taking again and again and again. 8. Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Diebler Rose: One of those few non-fiction works that get squeezed into my love of fiction art. What I loved about Darlene’s story is she never saw herself as something special. She was always amazed when God did extraordinary things in her life. (She was a Missionary who survived 4 years in a Japanese prison camp in New Guinea…& she always hoped she made a difference. Plus, she new AW Tozer personally…) 7. Hinds Feet for High Places by Hannah Hurnard: My go to book. It is a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful allegory of our life with Christ. How He changes us, moves us, and makes us much less afraid. I have written allegories based on it and the book of Hosea…this story resonates with me. 6. Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers (Voice in the Wind, Echo in the Darkness, & As Sure as the Dawn): Yep, these books pretty much shake my faith every single time I read them. They rock my idea of what sacrifice is. I’m not sure…but for the Grace of God! 5. Sacred Romance by John Eldredge & Brent Curtis: Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! This book rocked my universe. I was on the edge of giving up. I was this close to running out on my faith, my life…I was at the point where God was either going to show up or I was going to disappear. I didn’t hold any hope for the future. Then, I opened this book and it was like the scales came off my eyes. God used it in a mighty way. He showed me through the pages of this book how much He loved me? In turn, I was able to read the Bible again. I hold this book as one of my most favorite non-fiction works of all time. 4. King Raven Series by Stephen R. Lawhead (Hood, Scarlett, & Tuck): (can you tell by now that I’m a serial reader…) I picked “Hood” up in the bargain bin at Lifeway. I was excited that the story of Robin Hood, one of my favorite pieces of folklore, was getting a revamp. I have to say that it is a deep privilege and honor to read Stephen’s work. It has been a long time since I could say that of anyone. He is articulate, intelligent, and really does his homework (something I admire deeply, but never care to do in my own writing ;). He is delicious & this series is amazing. Each book is better than the previous…which is the way a series should be. 3. Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis (The Magician’s Nephew, Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe, Horse & His Boy, Prince Caspian, Voyage of Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, & The Last Battle): I read these as an adult for the first time. May I just say that I have never had a reading experience quite like it. I believed. It was as if I was an 8 year old girl…all the wonder and excitement came into being. I was completely and totally engrossed in the Narnian world. These books will forever hold a special place in my heart. Especially, The Magician’s Nephew, Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe, Voyage of Dawn Treader, & The Last Battle. 2. Christy by Catherine Marshall: Oh Mylanta do I love Appalachia. The way that Catherine wrote these beautifully rich and delicious characters is so vivid and rich. It is a treasure to behold. The Dr.’s conversion experience left me besotted. I was a crumbling weeping mess. It is a great treasure to have been a part of this reading experience. 1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: My first taste of classic literature during my senior year in High School. Then, I studied it again in college. It is one of those books that leaves me breathless. It has everything you could EVER hope for. It has mystery, intrigue, love, heartbreak, real love, real friendship…it is a WONDERFUL wonderful wonderful wonderful book! Next time “Top 10 movies I LOVE!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Me Share My Narrative With You (His Testimony!)

Happy Thanksgiving!...Kingdom Living!

Mornin'