Advent Ushers HOPE!


 
Advent ushers in with HOPE this evening. It curls up & settles warm arms around us; encouraging us to not lose this precious jewel.

Hope:

v. verb

  1. To wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment.
  2. To have confidence; trust.
  3. To look forward to with confidence or expectation.

n. noun

  1. A wish or desire accompanied by confident expectation of its fulfillment.
  2. Something that is hoped for or desired.

 

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” – Oscar Wilde

 

Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. –Romans 5:5

I will soon spend time in prayer, light my candle, read from Luke, & begin my advent journey with Ann Voskamp. I want the settling of His love to usher peace & a stirring. I have hope that His promises are true. They are matchless. His care for each of us is staggering.

Mom & I drove home from Georgia today. There is always extra effort to maneuver wind in one’s sails on a journey away from loved ones. I spent three full days seeing family I hadn’t seen in years & spending some much needed time with my sisters. My heart was warmed as I aided with the cleaning of my aging Grandmother’s home. My soul delighted in silly comments & friendly competition amongst long Rook games. I continually prayed to live in the moment not tarnish it with worries to come. All too soon these became memories tucked away.

Traffic hummed thick on asphalt. People were less willing to give as they began to bind themselves up, preservation for the hardships faced back in reality. I prayed long for myself often forgetting to pray for those vehicles in our way.

I read about one of my favorite actors passing in a tragic car accident, a gentle reminder that this life is vapor; an exhale of breath.

Then, I saw him. He was sitting on the edge of the road, hat snug atop his head. His possessions were neatly tucked in a suitcase & backpack. He sat on haunches – dignified. He covered the top of his head with his hand while he ate a meager meal. What struck me was this man indeed had a great dignity about him. You could see, in his physical stance, his desire to hide from prying eyes. My heart went out to him. He pierced me to the core.

I have seen homeless before. I have observed dirty nails as I hand them folded bills & send a blessing - seemingly hollow. What more can I do?

But, I wanted, wished I had been brave enough, to have Mom stop the car. I desired to wrap my arms around this man. I wanted him to know I saw him. I really saw him. I too am a broken shell of a person striving for dignity. I don’t want people to see me.

I wanted to rejoice with him that there is One who sees us as we are & as we are to be. He LOVES us & never abandons us. I wanted to instill HOPE!!! I had seen the ugly beautiful in this gentleman today.

As we drove by I prayed for him. It was hollow – a single sentence. It held no grandeur of what I had felt a moment before.

I am pondering this as I get ready to walk back up to the front of my home. I am praying for hands outstretched & willing to receive. I pray for a moment well lived.

I pray for HOPE-filled blessings! I pray them for you.

26 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!”[c]

29 But when she saw him,[d] she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was. 30 Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”

34 Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?”

35 And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren. 37 For with God nothing will be impossible.”

38 Then Mary said, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her. – Luke 1: 26-38

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Me Share My Narrative With You (His Testimony!)

Happy Thanksgiving!...Kingdom Living!

Mornin'