Ponderings, Floodplains, & Rest...


flood plain is an area of land that is prone to flooding. People realize it is prone to flooding because it has flooded in the past due to a river or stream overflowing its banks. A flood plain usually is a flat area with areas of higher elevation on both sides…

I am struck by this imagery. An area of land that is prone to flooding, its landscape ever changing – washed away and consistently made new. The pain and destruction are great. It would be easier to move to higher ground where stability is a bit more certain. Yet, the elegance of change always makes life more appreciable.

As Sara Groves sings in her title track, “some hearts are built on the floodplain”…

In 2015, I have seen more sorrow than joy. There have been more sharp edges than soft. My heart has quivered underneath emotions of doubt, insecurity, anger, apathy, hurt, and desolation. It has truly been an odd broken 12 months and, I must say, I am tickled pink to see this year in my rearview mirror.

I think we are living in a time where pockets of joy are precious and sacred, and stretches of sorrow are par for the course. There are moments, as my sister would say, “I have Lord of the Rings zeal to do something noble and courageous!” Still, apathy, my old friend, loves to visit – to protect me from the chaos within my own consciousness.

My entire life has been tempered by my faith. At times, it has been a ‘fake it until I make it’ journey. Despite my actions, my soul amalgamates to Jesus.

I am speculative on what 2016 will bring. I don’t have a clear bearing on the New Year. I have made some plans – things you could call resolutions – in order to provide a map of possibility. The clearest words I keep hearing over and over are, “rest in Me”. I hope I will fall apart this New Year. He will wreck what I have built with my own hands and re-build His plan for my life.

I am so thankful for renewal. How magnificent that God would give us new mercies each morning? Isn’t it lovely to start a fresh new moment, day, week? I love grand restarts where I see the sunset over the horizon and believe the expanse of beauty is for me.

There will always be a touch of melancholy to my song. It is in my fundamental design. My heart was built on the floodplain after all. Yet, my heart doesn’t stop with melancholy. It fights through to see hope, beauty, peace, joy, and possibility.

Let us not be afraid to feel deep and love reckless. A little honesty in the midst of pain can heal a multitude of woes. I am seeking real fellowship in 2016…with Him and humans.

I am asking that he take back the lost or stolen ground in my life!! The whole purpose this year will be navigating back to the bank of the river where I can sit in His arms and rest! In turn, I ask that He would use me in some meager way!

…Oh the river it rushes to madness
And the water it spreads like sadness
And there’s no high ground
And there’s no high ground
Closer to the danger and the rolling deep
Closer to the run and the losing streak
And what brings us to our knees

Closer to the life and the ebb and flow
Closer to the edge of I don’t know
Closer to Lord please send a boat
Some hearts are built here.

-        Floodplain, Sara Groves

“But those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up [close to God] as eagles [mount up to the sun]; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired.” – Hebrews 12: 1-3 AMP

“Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10 NLT



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Me Share My Narrative With You (His Testimony!)

Happy Thanksgiving!...Kingdom Living!

Mornin'